Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RFE: saving graph options

From: "J.Smith" <lbalbalba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:14:41 +0100

> Definitely, graph types have their optional parameters filled in in
> their respective initialization functions.  Currently, those functions
> use hardcoded values to set the parameters but it would be entirely
> possible for them to read the values from somewhere.
>
> Just from where?  Should a separate config file for TCP graphing be
> created and read?  Or should the TCP graphing options be stored
> somewhere where other options are stored and retrieved from Ethereal
> core during graph boot by some function calls?

Well from were Im standing (as an end-user), it seems to make sense to keep
all setting related things in one place, so if the same setting file could
be used as the one that ethereal already uses to store the other settings
(the 'preferences' file) this would seem logical to me.

>From a programming viewpoint, I have no idea whether the piece of code that
would read the 'TCP Graph options' could be 're-used' or at least
'implemented in a similar manner' as the code and methods that are currently
used by ethereal for reading and storing the other options... But if this is
possible, that would seem to make sense to me too, as one would be
're-using' instead of 're-inventing'.
;)

Again, just my 2$

Sincerely,