Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Re: compile problem by using VC++

From: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:37:48 -0500
On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 02:16:28PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> I've updated "README.win32" to refer to "Visual C++" rather than "Visual
> C"; perhaps that'll prevent further confusion.

I did not realize the README.win32 file referenced "Visual C", however
most Windows programmers would realize they are one and the same.

> I also don't know how well MSVC++ handles generating .c and .h files
> from other files, as we do for some source files.

It shouldn't have any issues, after all the MIDL compiler generates .c
and .h files on-the-fly as part of the build process of a COM object,
for example.

> It might be possible to handle this with CMake:

IMHO, I would leave the build process for the Win32 version as it is.
If people want to create their own project files for Developer Studio,
then they're free to.

Having been involved with SCM across multiple platforms for a couple of
years, I fully understand the issues trying to maintain build
scripts/environments that are accurate.

Mike.