Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Easier dissector building

From: "Esh, Andrew" <AEsh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:43:48 -0600
Title: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Easier dissector building

Yes, and in the spirit of the GPL, I'd rather see the dissector source code checked into Ethereal's CVS. This runtime linking, while technically possible, would create an avenue for modified versions of Ethereal which this development group does not have all the source code for. Imagine the support questions this list would get. The first couple of email exchanges would be needed to sort out which modules the person is using.

What's wrong with compiling and linking the whole product? It's not really that hard. If someone can't do that, I doubt they could compile a module correctly.

Is waiting for the next release the hard part? Perhaps this group should adopt the Linux release scheme: Even numbered minor versions are stable releases, and occur as often as normal releases do now. Odd minor numbered releases occur every few days, and are experimental. Users are encouraged to use the even numbered ones. Developers and early adopters (super users) are free to try out the experimental releases.

My suggestion is to release version 1.0, and version 1.1 at the same time. Then build the 1.1.X branch often, and only release the 1.0.X branch when it's been stabilized and tested. Cross-port only the successful changes from the 1.1 branch to the 1.0 branch, after they have been well cooked by the developers. This way, people who need fast turnaround on new dissectors can get it, while not disturbing the stable release pattern that end users depend on.