Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: compile problem by using VC++

From: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:45:38 -0500
On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 06:31:15PM +0000, Wutthichai Luangpradit wrote:
>          I have a problem to compile Ethereal from source code under
>          VC++.  I downloaded source code of Ethereal v. 0.9.7, Glib v.
>          1.3.1, GTK+ v.1.2.7, and Zlib v.1.1.4.  As I read from
>          readme.win32 it provides instruction for MS Visual C.  Is it
>          possible to use VC++ in compilation?   If it is, I wondering
>          whether I can perform the same task as MS Visual C.  If it is
>          not the same could you please provide steps to compile?

There is *no* difference between what you call MS Visual C and VC++.
They are one and the same.  The C++ compiler compiles C code too.  If
you're referring to the Developer Studio (GUI) compared to the
command-line, then please say so.

The directions for compiling Ethereal from the command-line are spot on
and, in my experience, work as advertised.  To my knowledge, there is
not an official Developer Studio project file for Ethereal.  I imagine
part of the reason for it not being in the tree is that it would be
difficult to keep the UNIX build scripts in sync with the Win32 project
file.  Create one if you feel it necessary.

Mike.