Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Problems transfering Clear Text files over a WAN LINK

From: "Sheahan, John" <John.Sheahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 11:05:17 -0500

After looking at the trace, I remember seeing something similar to this that I had to troubleshoot once where the traffic was being dropped and retransmissions were happening in only one direction.

The resolution turned out to be two concurrent problems:

1.       a partially bad WAN circuit where traffic was being randomly dropped only in one direction so I would open a ticket with your carrier to get it tested in both directions. When we fixed this, most of the retransmissions cleared up but we still had some occasionally.

2.       The second part of the fix was that I did have asynchronous routing but there were no firewalls between the source and destination in either direction so by moving my sniffer around, I tracked where the packets were getting dropped (which happened to be on the return traffic path which took a completely different route than the send traffic) and it turned out to be a bad Cisco card in the 6500 switch. I opened a ticket with Cisco and sent them the traces that proved it and they denied it so I had to force them to send me a replacement card anyway and it fixed the problem.