Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Problems transfering Clear Text files over a WAN LINK

From: "Sheahan, John" <John.Sheahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:56:36 -0500

I haven’t had a chance to look at the trace yet but my first thought is that you might be looking at asynchronous routing meaning that the send packets take one network path and the receive packets come back on another network path. The problem I have seen in the past is that when asynchronous routing occurs and there happens to be a firewall on one of the paths, you can experience the symptoms that are seeing. Also, if any of your network equipment is Cisco, they have something called CEF (Cisco express forwarding) that will automatically load balance your traffic based on the IP address and other criteria which often times causes asynchronous routing.

My suggestion would be to map out the path from source to destination using a trace route and do the same thing from destination to source which will confirm whether or not you have asynchronous routing. Then, find all firewalls on both paths and see if you can get the firewall admin to debug them when you recreate the issue you’re having.