Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Any zLinux users or idears about monitoring zLinux traffic

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:23:14 -0700
On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 06:56:59PM -0400, Natividad, Joel wrote:

> Are there any users out there using Wireshark in zLinux (Linux on
> mainframes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_on_zSeries)?

Not sure.

> If not, any of the devs aware of any possible platform issues, should
> I venture to compile Wireshark on my own?

Go ahead and try to compile it on your own - I bet it will work fine.
If you have any trouble, join the wireshark-dev mailing list and we'll
try to help you get it compiled.

> If not, can anybody recommend a setup whereby I can monitor network
> traffic coming out of the zLinux on a regular Linux/Windoze machine,
> perhaps, by bridging or some other technique?

If you have the system connected to a switch, you may be able to do port
monitoring/spanning of the system's port to another port where you would
connect the regular machine to for capturing traffic.  You'll get all
traffic sent and received on the monitored port with this setup.  An
alternative is to put a hub in between the existing network and the
server and then connect your monitoring machine to that hub and it will
also see all traffic going through the hub.

Steve