Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Using ptvcursor in a Plugin

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:29:22 -0700

On Jul 23, 2008, at 11:00 AM, DeRosa, Anthony wrote:

Further clarification...my plugin that uses the ptvcursor API *does*
successfully load when using the wireshark.exe that I built, after
having added the ptvcursor API to libwireshark.def.  However, when I
drop my plugin.dll file into a standard installation of wireshark (not
built from source), the plugin does not load.

Can anyone further clarify what is going on?

If your plugin uses the ptvcursor routines, and they aren't being exported by the libwireshark in the standard Wireshark installation, then your plugin can't be loaded by the standard Wireshark installation; it can only be loaded by a version of Wireshark that exports them.

One way to get an installation of Wireshark that exports the ptvcursor routines would be to download one of the top-of-tree ("1.0.99") buildbot builds:

	http://www.wireshark.org/download/automated/win32/

I've also added the change that exported those routines in the main branch to the list of fixes to propagate to the 1.0 branch, so if it's put into a 1.0.3 release, that release will also export the ptvcursor routines.