Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New dissector proposed: WakeOnLAN

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 23:10:53 -0500
Hmm, now that I think about it, in this case, I think it was purposely not registered.  By design, the WOL MagicPacket can occur in any frame.  If WOL was registered with Ethertype 0x0842, that would not have solved the problem of being able to remotely wake up a host over an arbitrary network connection.  Take IP for instance, (Ethertype 0x0800), IPX (Ethertype 0x8137), IPv6 (0x86DD), ... the Magic Packet could reside in all of them and a properly designed Ethernet controller would detect it, regardless of the Ethertype.  As far as I can tell, there's nothing special about 0x0842 and it just happens to be what the author of ether-wake chose to use - a wise decision IMO - but still not worth registering.

Because only the MagicPacket byte sequence is what counts, not the Ethertype, protocol, port number, etc., it makes it rather problematic to detect it in software.  If you want to be 100% sure of detecting a WOL packet in a Wireshark dissector, then you'd have to register that dissector with absolutely every other dissector Wireshark supports, and scan all bytes in every frame for the MagicPacket ... and you'd have to be sure that dissector gets to look at each frame before any other dissector gets a chance to look at it.  Somewhat ridiculous if you ask me.

Official registration aside, I think what you did was a good idea because, well, why not register - at least locally - for those types we know about, especially when the chance of a conflict is nil?  I should have read your comments in etypes.h.  Oops.  Apologies.

- Chris