Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New dissector proposed: WakeOnLAN

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:49:38 -0500
I think it's fine to add the Wake on LAN entries to etypes.h, etc., but
just be aware that 0x0842 is not actually a registered ethertype (*yet*)
with IANA (Refer to: http://www.iana.org/assignments/ethernet-numbers).
0x0842 is only what ether-wake uses for WOL traffic, but technically WOL
is not dependent upon anything but specific byte sequences in the
Ethernet frame's payload - at least in theory.  In reality of course, it
makes practical sense to assign a specific ethertype, or udp port
number, or ..., but there are no guarantees.  That said, I seriously
doubt that there'll be a conflict with 0x0842 any time soon (as in my
lifetime), but you never know, so I guess it's just something to keep in
mind ...