Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: GSM/GPRS

Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 02:15:16 +0200
On 6/30/05, ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/29/05, Y Z <ommy_ss@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > Sorry again folks for forgetting not everyone is on
> > broadband ;-). So many things on the mind :D
> >
> > Anyway, thanks Ron for input. If anyone knows any GPRS
> > provider with good latency let me know please.
>
> None do.  they have to make it impossible to use low-latency services
> such as voip in order to not cannibalize on their revenue stream
> (circuit switch voice).

No, just calculate how much they charge per kbyte and you'll notice
that a voip call turns more expensive than a CS call. The actual
reason is a "natural" delay caused by a huge chain of nodes (each with
its own buffer).

2.5G:
PC -R- MS -Um- BTS -Abis- BSC -Gb- SGSN -Gn- GGSN -Gi- Internet

 3G:
PC -R- UE -Uu- Node-B -IuB- RNC -IuPS- SGSN -Gn- GGSN -Gi- Internet

In the next(?) future mobile networks will do voice/video using the
packet interface (SIP,SDP,RTP,RTCP).