Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: GSM/GPRS

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:23:19 -0400
On 6/29/05, Y Z <ommy_ss@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Sorry again folks for forgetting not everyone is on
> broadband ;-). So many things on the mind :D
>
> Anyway, thanks Ron for input. If anyone knows any GPRS
> provider with good latency let me know please.

None do.  they have to make it impossible to use low-latency services
such as voip in order to not cannibalize on their revenue stream
(circuit switch voice).

As an unfortunate sideeffect of this it also means that anything
interactive like telnet, or cifs filesharing (which is also latency
bound) becomes so slow it is essentially useless.

> So is it a bug that ethereal hasn't reported the last
> retransmitted packet?

Yes, it is a mistake in the heuristics inside ethereal that mistakes
the real retransmission as being just a network reordering of packets,
aka out-of-order.