Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal crash when opening trace files...

From: Fabrizio Bertocci <fabrizio@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:58:31 -0700
Andre,
I tried to follow the steps you described in your email, but I cannot reproduce the crash you experience:
- Captured a trace, saved under c:\foo\test
- Quit Ethereal
- Restart Ethereal
- Load trace c:\foo\test
- Save as c:\foo\test.enc as Network Associates Sniffer (dos based)
- Quit Ethereal
- Restart Ethereal
- Load trace c:\foo\test.enc (no problem)
- Load trace c:\foo\test (no problem)

My trace was quite small (about 400 packets)...
Running Windows XP Pro SP2. Ethereal version 0.10.11 (custom build).

Fabrizio

NOEL, ANDRE wrote:

Hi,

Since I installed ethereal version 0.10.11 I’m experiencing a strange behavior and I want to know

if I’m the only one. ( ethereal windows version 0.10.11 running on Windows XP Pro SP1)

Some would try this and tell me if he is experiencing the same as me ?

1 – Open a trace with Ethereal

2 – Save it as Network Associate (DOS based) format with the same filename as the opened one but add extension .enc

3 – Try to open any trace in that directory. Ethereal should crash to windows.

4 – Work around. Copy the trace to another directory and it will open successfully.

For me it looks like when saving in Network Associate format, this change some permission or

I don’t know what in the directory that make ethereal to crash.

Please let me know if you experience the same as me or not.

Regards.

Connexim, une société en commandite de Bell Canada

André Noël - Capacité et performance de réseaux

671, De la Gauchetière Ouest

Bureau 744

Montréal, Qc

Courriel: andre.noel@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:andre.noel@xxxxxxxxxxx>