Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: Ethereal

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:48:12 -0400
Ethereal is not freeware, ethereal is GPL software.

Ethereal is distributed at no cost and you can download and use
ethereal as much as you want for no cost as long as you do not violate
the licence(GPL) under which ethereal is distributed.

However, if you use ethereal you must abide the GPL licence.
This means (as for your second question) that if you include ethereal
sourcecode into your application, your application will also become
GPL software which means you will have to distribute the full source
code for your application under the GPL licence as well.

Please see the GNU website for an explanation of the GPL licence and
the rights/responsibilities it gives/requires from you.

IF your application is a GPL application there are no problems with
using ethereal source code.
IF your application is NOT GPL then you should probably stay clear of
the ethereal sourcecode until you have had a lawyer look into the
specific issues related to your planned useage.