Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Rookie question

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:43:42 -0700
ronnie sahlberg wrote:

Because it is not an IP packet but an AppleTalk packet?

Yup. ZIP is the Zone Information Protocol, or something such as that (my AppleTalk book is at work), which is an AppleTalk protocol.

You apparently do have hosts using the AppleTalk in your network and
that is why they do not display an IP address.

ZIP GetNetInfo IS a packet generated by AppleTalk so it does appear
without any doubt you have Mac's in your broadcast domain. Optionally
there might be some other OS that supports AppleTalk but very few OSs
do.

...but some embedded kernels might, e.g. those in print servers, as they might want to support AppleTalk printing.

	http://www.macintouch.com/printing07.html

speaks of Sercom print servers.

I.e., he might not have any Macs on his network, but he still might have devices that do AppleTalk.