Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] new to ethereal (understanding data captured)

From: "Visser, Martin" <martin.visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:57:11 +1000
Chad,

Ideally you really need to know what you expect to see and compare this with what you are seeing on the wire. There are lots of things that happens on networks that at first take look wrong or incorrect, but more often than not are just the way things are.

If you hunt around you will find information on protocols such as NCP (for Novell Netware stacks) and TCP (the IP reliable transport layer). However you may need to dig deeper to find out how your application  expects to use these protocols.

As you have a working and flaky example of the application you are probably best off comparing the two and looking for differences.

Of course you should look at physical layer statistics that your network infrastructure (switches/routers) might be able to provide.

Martin

Martin Visser, CISSP
Network and Security Consultant
Consulting & Integration
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

410 Concord Road
Rhodes
 NSW
2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the information in it.