Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Displayed IP-address Formats

From: "Skip Newhall" <skip@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:13:29 -0700

Hi –

In the packet-summary window, source and destination IP addresses are displayed in standard quad-dot format, without leading zeroes in the subfields.

Two typical addresses might be

24.114.37.66

141.119.3.76

When sorted by Ethereal, the entry is interpreted as an as ASCII string, giving

141.119.3.76

24.114.37.66

It is often desirable to have a long list of addresses sorted in numerical order, which would be accomplished if each subfield were left-padded with zeroes:

024.114.037.066

141.119.003.076

A sort would now produce this order instead of that in the earlier example.

Is there an Ethereal option that can produce this format? I tried several preference formats, but none seems to work.

--

---------- Skip Newhall ----------

Valencia, California

E-mail: x@xxxxx