Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] lan configuration for ethereal

From: Jens Link <lists@xxxxxxx>
Date: 01 Jun 2005 11:36:10 +0200
Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> writes:

> I don't know a lot about small companies, but hubs are not used very
> often today, as switches usually provide better throughput (and hubs are
> difficult to get now).

Last time I checked small switches where cheaper than (DUAL Speed) HUBs.

> Usually, you'll use Ethereal to track down problems. I that case, you'll
> might already have an idea which hosts are involved and therefore can
> select the "right" port to capture from.

Well I usually start with something simpler, like checking the interface
statistics of a switch or computer or just a good old fashioned ping.

There are some problems you can't find with Ethereal (like a duplex
mismatch between a switch and a server) and some problems you can't find
without Ethereal (e.g. A client takes about 20min. to login to a W2K
server because a router *dropping* port 135/tcp.)

It needs some experience to choose the right tool for the job.

Jens