Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal 64 bit

From: "Francisco Alcoba (TS/EEM)" <francisco.alcoba@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:07:16 +0200
Hi,

> I have 4 PC's running one application on each PC and let Ethereal
> collect packets. After a period of time (about 2 hours), Ethereal does
> not respond anymore and I need to kill the process in task
> manager. Thus
> I cant get the results (packets captured). Does anyone have an idea of
> what to do in this case?

Generally speaking, if you want to capture continuously and then process
the files in any way, ethereal is probably not the best tool to use. You can
use tcpdump/windump, which are much lighter, to collect the information, and
afterwards use ethereal/tethereal to analyze it. That, of course, unless you
need to watch the results in realtime, which is what ethereal is really good
at. And, as has already been said, it makes it easier to use multiple files. If
you later need to analyze them together -e.g. because there are inter-file
dependencies- you can always merge them.

Regards,
 Francisco