Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] interface

From: "C. Anagnostopoulos" <hana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:34:16 +0300
Hello,
I need to run Ethereal on a PC (Windows 2000 Professional) for quite a long
period of time in order to monitor the traffic on a LAN.
The problem is that various users use that PC and it is expected that
frequent shutdowns of the PC will occur by accident. I am
looking for a way to make the Ethereal application start capturing
automatically when the PC restarts. To this extent, the only
feasible solution that I can realize is to schedule the ethereal run at
system startup passing the required parameters on the command
line in order to avoid any user interaction.

My problems is that the application does not accept the required interface
(parameter -i) and, hence, it goes up without
starting capturing. For example, the capturing start window presents me with
the following interface "Accton EN1207F/EN2220A/EN2242
Series Fast Ethernet Adapter NDIS5 Driver:
\Device\NPF_{C46A8FBD-5D89-453A-8A37-EE35CF2AA7CE}" among others.

How can we pass this piece of information on the command line as part of
parameter -i?  Is that possible?

I would be obliged if anyone could help.

Best regards
Harry