Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] interface

From: "Ulf Lamping" <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:17:32 +0200
Ethereal user support <ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 19.04.05 12:38:11:

> My problems is that the application does not accept the required interface
> (parameter -i) and, hence, it goes up without
> starting capturing. For example, the capturing start window presents me with
> the following interface "Accton EN1207F/EN2220A/EN2242
> Series Fast Ethernet Adapter NDIS5 Driver:
> \Device\NPF_{C46A8FBD-5D89-453A-8A37-EE35CF2AA7CE}" among others.
>
> How can we pass this piece of information on the command line as part of
> parameter -i?  Is that possible?

You just need the Windows interface name, in your case:

\Device\NPF_{C46A8FBD-5D89-453A-8A37-EE35CF2AA7CE}

should work.

Please note that Ethereal/Tethereal is not the best way to do such things (e.g. it keeps conversation related information which will grow memory consumption). You might try windump (which uses the same file format) for that purpose instead.

Regards, ULFL