Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal for Network Throughput

From: Stef <stefmit@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 05:46:53 -0500
You have to arm yourself with much more than ethereal. You could
either poke around the net, and download some additional network tools
(e.g. my favorites: ntop, argus, ettercap, bing, etc.), or just grab a
linux distribution on a live CD, having all those (e.g.
http://nst.sourceforge.net/nst/).

A good place to start with such options, as a reference ffor the future, is:
http://www.livecdlist.com/
and search in the security area.

In your specific case ntop is a must. Make sure you place your system
where you have the highest traffic "visibility", of course (trunk
port, proximity of router, etc.).

HTH,
Stef

On Apr 11, 2005 5:39 PM, Kevin Edwards <kevine@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Getting sent out tomorrow to do some network analysis which I've only done a
> very little of.
>
> Some rental place gave me an ancient version of sniffer pro 3.0.5 on a
> dinosaur laptop.
<snip>