Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Using ethereal by non-root linux user

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:50:33 +0200
Beware that using sudo gives root privileges to the ethereal process,
that at the very least allows users to overwrite system files. A
sophisticated atacker might even use it to read files.

I personally do not know linux well enough to tell you whether there's
a better way to do it.

Googling I found http://killa.net/infosec/acls/ which might help.

With BSD's you can change /dev/bpf* permissions, on Solaris you can do
so with /dev/qfe* (or whatever type of interface you are using) so
allowing users to go into promiscous mode without giving them root
access.