Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Sending packets to self via nw rather than localhost => DCE

From: "Ulf Lamping" <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:04:11 +0200
Ethereal user support <ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 06.04.05 15:13:49:

> When Im checking for these packets - they appear as DCERPC DCE/RPC fragments!
> Is this reasonable?

Well, Ethereal *thinks* that these packets are DCE/RPC packets. That might or might not be true.

For some protcols, there's no real good indicator if it's a packet of a specific kind, so Ethereal has to do some guesswork (heuristics) which protocol it could be. While this is usually working pretty well, there are times when it just miss the reality.

If you know which packets should be on the line, try to temporarily disable the DCE/RPC dissector "Enabled Protocols" and see what Ethereal now has to say.

> Do you think that I have set up the routing tables properly!
> If not - does anyone know how I can configure the routes so that the loopback is
> disabled?

Sorry, not a routing man. Won't be much helpful in this topic.

May I ask you why you are doing this?

Regards, ULFL