Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Capture's on Eth0 with ip 0.0.0.0

From: "Jemiolo, John" <john.jemiolo@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:08:51 -0400
Title: Capture's on Eth0 with ip 0.0.0.0

There werea few posts on this last year, but I didn't find and resolusion or workaround.

I have RedHet Linux 7.3 and Ethereal 10.10 on a Laptop which I want to plug into various networks, without intruding. (listen only)

I have set eth0 with an IP of 0.0.0.0,  After bringing up eth0, Ethereal does not see "eth0" and will not capture packets.

If I set eth0 to the IP  10.0.0.0 , Ethereal sees eth0 and everything starts working fine.

Any ideas.

Thanks
JJ