Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Capture's on Eth0 with ip 0.0.0.0

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:20:46 -0700
Jemiolo, John wrote:

I have RedHet Linux 7.3 and Ethereal 10.10 on a Laptop which I want to plug into various networks, without intruding. (listen only)

I have set eth0 with an IP of 0.0.0.0, After bringing up eth0, Ethereal does not see "eth0"

It's probably the case that either

1) the version of libpcap in RH 7.3 doesn't include the change to scan /proc/net for interfaces in pcap_findalldevs(), so it finds interfaces with no IP addresses (setting it to 0.0.0.0 is probably equivalent to setting it to "no IP address"), or doesn't have pcap_findalldevs()

or

2) the Ethereal version you're running was configured on and built on a machine with a libpcap that lacked pcap_findalldevs(), so it uses the old code it had to enumerate interfaces, which doesn't scan /proc/net.

and will not capture packets.

Will not capture packets even if you type "eth0" into the text box for the interface? If so, what does it do - display an error if you try to capture on eth0, or try to capture on it but not see any packets?