Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] serial support in ethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:32:55 -0700
On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 08:17:45AM +1200, David Bremer wrote:
> Is it possible to capture this traffic on Linux

Yes, but...

> or does it have the
> same problem? I use a captured session taken on win98 to teach PPP.
> it's great for showing the LCP negotiation process.

...you won't see any of the control protocols when capturing PPP traffic
on Linux.  (You might see it on some BSDs - try {Free,Net,Open}BSD.)

If you're using the user-mode PPP daemon on Linux, you can, I think, get
it to log raw serial traffic to a file, and Ethereal can read those
files.