Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] serial support in ethereal

From: "David Bremer" <DAVEB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 09:56:16 +1200

>>> gharris@xxxxxxxxx 17/05/04 09:32:55 >>>
>> or does it have the
>> same problem? I use a captured session taken on win98 to teach PPP.
> it's great for showing the LCP negotiation process.

>...you won't see any of the control protocols when capturing PPP traffic
>on Linux.  (You might see it on some BSDs - try {Free,Net,Open}BSD.)

With win98 you just need to start ethereal, fire up the DUN connection and it's all captured - LCP, Authentication, NCP/IPCP all there.

Yet again windows 98 rocks ;-) ... in a perverse way I rather like that insecure single user OS. If/when it breaks, just re-ghost (not even a SID to worry about).

>If you're using the user-mode PPP daemon on Linux, you can, I think, get
>it to log raw serial traffic to a file, and Ethereal can read those files.

mmm - that's a thought - I wonder if it also logs the AT commands etc sent to the modem. The LCP/NCP packets are what I'm most interested in though. The rest of PPP is a boring transport of higher layers only interesting if it's the layers 3+ stuff you're looking at.

BTW - does anyone know of some simple/clear captures of basic HDLC? *NOT* CIsco's proprietary HDLC. I teach that before looking at PPP and Frame Relay (but Frame only lightly) and we only look at it on paper which is pretty boring for the students.  And (to be honest) I'm not sure how to go about setting up a real HDLC network ... any pointers there?

Cheers
Dave