Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] capture filters

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 15:31:08 -0700 (PDT)
Burgess, Jeffrey T said:
>  The windows version of the docs wouldn't come up on windump...

I.e., the URL I mentioned:

    http://windump.polito.it/docs/manual.htm

didn't work in your browser?

>  So do I put 'tcpdump host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' in the capture filter line?

To quote my previous reply:

    Note that this is a sample command line - "tcpdump" is the command, and
    "host sundown" are the arguments to the command, giving the filter.  You
    would use just "host sundown" with Ethereal - you would *not* put
    "tcpdump" in there.

>  I tried 'ip host src or dst xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' but it wouldn't parse it,
> got an error...

That's because it's not valid.

You could do

    ip src host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or ip dst host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

("src" and "dst" are qualifiers for "host", so they come before "host"), but

    ip host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

is sufficient (an unqualified "host" means "source or destination host":

              dst host host
                     True  if  the  IPv4/v6 destination field of the
packet is
                     host, which may be either an address or a name.

              src host host
                     True if the IPv4/v6 source field of the packet is host.

              host host
                     True if either the IPv4/v6 source or destination  of
the
                     packet is host. ...