Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] HotSIP sip-messages crasching ethereal

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 23:46:30 +0200
Taisto Qvist wrote:
> Anyone else experiencing 100% crasches on both w2k and windowsXP
> systems, when trying to analyze SIP messages between Hotsip SIP-servers
> and clients? Every single time, as soon as i click a sip-message in
> the viewer-window. (It shows up during realtime display)
>
> I downgraded to 09.16 to get rid of the problem, but its nice to know
> if more have similar problems.

> I was using 10.3 and I just noticed that the 10.2 doesnt have the same
> problem! With the attached snifferdata, I can open the data easily in
> both versions, but as soon as I mark a SIP packet, ethereal 0.10.3
> crasches instantly. Hope you can figure out whats wrong.

I can reproduce the crash with 0.10.3 version, and the problem doesn't occur
when using CVS version.
Your capture contains SIP over TCP.

The 0.10.3 version may crash when you select a SIP packet:
-When the SIP packet is sent over TCP

-When the SIP packet is sent over UDP but neither to or from the default
port 5060
and not to or from a port defined as "Decode As../SIP"

-When the preference setting for UDP dissector is set to dissect by
heuristics first
(Edit/Preferences../Protocols/UDP/Try heursitic sub-dissectors first).

The problem was solved a while ago (some days after 0.10.3 was released, I
think) and will be included in the next official release.