Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal and Madge-TR

From: Bernd Lange <b.lange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:59:11 +0100
Dear Ethereal-Users,

when I try to capture token ring traffic with a Madge Smart Ringnode Mk2 I receive the following messages:

[root@lahmekiste /root]# ethereal
WARNING: unsupported device type 0x320, assuming raw
WARNING: unsupported device type 0x320, assuming raw
Kernel filter, protocol ALL, TURBO mode (63 frames), raw packet socket

The summary window of Ethereal shows

No. Time      Source  Destination  Protocol Info
1 0.000000 N/A N/A IP Bogus IP header length (0, must be at least 20) 2 0.030000 N/A N/A IP Bogus IP header length (0, must be at least 20)

I assume that Ethereal isn't aware that there is token ring traffic on the network and misinterprets the frames. Reading a file captured with sniffer from NAI works excellent. Is there a possibility to tell Ethereal that it is capturing on a token ring? I couldn't find anything about unsupported device types in the documentation.

My environment:
Red Hat Linux 7.1
Ethereal 0.8.20
libpcap 0.4