Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Download errors

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:32:04 -0700
On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 03:56:10PM +1000, NormW wrote:

> Got an NT 4/SP6 box with IE55sp2 and every time I try to download the
> new Windows release of Ethereal(0.8.20), the download terminates early
> by truncating the amount to download;...sometimes it will get 2MB, other
> times 6.3MB but what ever it has got so far, the Message displays
> "Download Complete xxx bytes", with the download bar going straight from
> wherever it is at to 100%....Is this something wrong: 1) at your end,
> 2)with my machine or 3)windows in general?

With your machine, with Windows in general, or with IE 5.5 in
particular, I suspect.

I generally download it with Netscape 4.x on NT 4; try installing
Netscape, if you don't already have it installed, and see if you can
download it.

If I try using the classic HTTP client "telnet", I get:

	% telnet www.ethereal.com 80
	Trying 65.208.228.222...
	Connected to www.ethereal.com.
	Escape character is '^]'.