Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Ethereal Gripe

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:01:55 +1000
A tool might be useful to produce a better-than-nothing first-shot dissector
for ethereal.
When the dissector matures and gets state tracking and intelligence added to
it,
the problem space is just shifted from the dissector to the
compiler/generator.
When a dissector reaches the state where the current NFS dissector is I fear
that there is no way
a machine can generate the state that dissector keeps track of:

Portmapper GetPort  might tell us that NFS is spoken on port 456
NFS Lookup tells us that the filehandle:abc refers to the file "my file"

NFS write request in packet 7 contain the filehandle abc
NFS reply in packet 12   is the reply to the request in packet 7

the filter:   nfs.file=="my file"     will with ethereal match  both packet
7 and packet 12.

it matches packet 7 because packet 7 contains a filehandle that maps to the
filename "my file"  which was discovered in some
other nfs transaction.
it matches packet 12  since packet 12 is a reply to packet 7 and packet 7
contains a filehandle that maps to the filename we are searching for.

I am absolutely convinced that it is more difficult and requires more effort
to develop a protocol description language that is rich enough
to describe these relations htat i described than to code these relations by
hand.
note that ethereal already today can do these things for nfs.
If the protocol description language becomes too rich and feature filled, it
might become too complex to use to describe the protocol and the
protocol pdu relations.
the complexity and work has only been moved from implementing the dissector
into describing the dissector in a special language through an extra
layer of indirection.

With this extra layer of indirection between the protocol description and
the resulting ethereal dissector implementation
the complexity increases.

many ethereal developers have thought long and hard over the issue.

it is a very hard problem to solve.