Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Ethereal Gripe

From: Kevin <kem2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:52:54 -0400
Comment from a heavy user of ethereal. I am not a developer in any manner, but my team and I do use ethereal daily.

Acterna Examine has / had the ability to insert a user definable protocol layer into the decode. Then filters can be applied to this layer using the defined field names.

Just the ability to break out and display these proprietary or new fields is a godsend. Any relationships between the fields is determined by the user.

I have been watching this thread and for what it is worth, would like to submit this list of features I would like, at least as a 1st generation.

Define fields as bits, or octets.
Label these fields
Assign a display data type (Boolean, Ascii, Hex, Octal, Bin)
Select which fields to display on the summary line
Define where in the stack this custom layer lives
Filter / Colorize on the defined fields.

Having to use Decode As... would not be a major burden. Just the ability to break out there protocols is a major accomplishment. Once this is in use in the field, it will be clearer what else is needed and how to grow the tool.

Just my $.02

Thanks to all for this fantastic tool
Kevin Mason