Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Concurrent DNS name resolution

From: "Greg Morris" <GMORRIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:49:09 -0600
Lionel,

In the file preferences located in the \Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Ethereal you will find the following lines....

# Resolve addresses to names? TRUE/FALSE/{list of address types to resolve}
name_resolve: m

# Name resolution concurrency Decimal integer.
name_resolve_concurrency: 500

You can change the option name_resolve: m to read as name_resolve: FALSE to disable the adns name resolution. We should probably have these settings configurable from the Ethereal preferences GUI but these are yet to be implemented. I am not certain who did the work so they may already be working on implementing this functionality. I am hoping that they will reply to this email.

Typically, if you want something added/changed in Ethereal then you should submit the request to the ethereal-dev mailing list. If it is a specific issue with dissecting Novell packets I would be happy to work on it since I have been doning most of the Novell packet type work. I don't even have a problem with adding the options for this issue to the preferences window but I don't want to duplicate the effort of the current developer working on this part of the code.

Greg

>>> Lionel Bartlett 8/27/2003 3:07:33 AM >>>
Hi,

In the attached email is a response for preventing ethereal from performing DNS lookups when a trace is opened. There is a commandline option for ethereal to turn if off, but no gui option.

Also someone who want's it off... http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200307/msg00345.html

Perhaps you have some weight to get the option into the gui. I could log a RFE, is that the best way?

Thank you,
Lionel