Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [Win95] Ethereal Missing IPHLPAPI.dll

From: "Gisle Vanem" <giva@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:35:39 +0200
"Dave Dillon" <ddillon3@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> I'm a first-time Ethereal user.  Well, not quite; Ethereal is
> refusing to make that first run.
>
> I've just installed WinPcap_3_0.exe and ethereal-setup-0.9.14.exe.
>
> But alas, Ethereal won't run.  It halts with the error message,
>
>     "A required .DLL file, IPHLPAPI.DLL, was not found."
>
> WinPcap is healthy enough to let WinDump execute, per their FAQ.
> The DOS command "windump -D" produced a list of 3 network adapters.
> "windump -i 3 > dmp.txt" captured over a thousand packets.
>
> So it seems that Ethereal, not WinPcap, wants IPHLPAPI.dll,
> and won't run without it.

It's the ADNS library that want's IPHLPAPI.DLL, not EtherReal directly.
And it only imports 1 function (GetNetworkParams) from the dll.

You could rebuilt it yourself w/o the HAVE_GNU_ADNS and ADNS_JGAA_WIN32
defines in your CFLAGS. Ideally we should report it to the ADNS list and make
them support Win9x too.

--gv