Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] [Win95] Ethereal Missing IPHLPAPI.dll

From: "Greg Morris" <GMORRIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:12:13 -0600
This is the one from my Windows 2000 workstation. It is located in the \winnt\system32 directory. Looks like the service pack installed it.

Greg

>>> Dave Dillon <ddillon3@xxxxxxxxxxx> 8/25/2003 8:48:59 PM >>>
Hello,

I'm a first-time Ethereal user.  Well, not quite; Ethereal is
refusing to make that first run.

I've just installed WinPcap_3_0.exe and ethereal-setup-0.9.14.exe.

But alas, Ethereal won't run.  It halts with the error message,

    "A required .DLL file, IPHLPAPI.DLL, was not found."

WinPcap is healthy enough to let WinDump execute, per their FAQ.
The DOS command "windump -D" produced a list of 3 network adapters.
"windump -i 3 > dmp.txt" captured over a thousand packets.

So it seems that Ethereal, not WinPcap, wants IPHLPAPI.dll,
and won't run without it.

My operating system is Windows 95, OSR2 (the 32-bit FAT version).

I searched all 31 .cab files on the Win95 CD-ROM, but couldn't
find that .dll.

Some searching on Microsoft's web site indicates that they may
have produced an IPHLPAPI.dll for newer versions of Win/IE,
but never for Win95.  Worse, they've yanked all download support
for all flavors of Win 9X; they now support only WinME and newer.

Can you please help?

I'm hot on the trail of a bug in my ISP's NNTP server, and I'm
desperate for a packet sniffer to demonstrate that their server
is in fact the True Villain.  I REALLY need your help!

Anxiously,
--
Dave Dillon
San Jose, CA, USA.