Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Feature request - TCP Retransmission labeling

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:51:40 -0700

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 2:38 PM, ListSrv wrote:

If you still want to check the IP identifier, you'd have to modify the IPv4 and IPv6 dissectors to supply it to the dissectors they call.

I modifed the IPv4 dissector (and added a field for IP-identifier). How come the full IP-header is not coded into the ip_hdr structure (at least I couldn't find it).

I don't know.

Frankly, it shouldn't be passing an e_ip structure in any case - the only current user of that stuff is the iousers tap, and that has a comment saying

	/* XXX for now we only handle ipv4 as transport for udp.
	   should extend in the future to also handle ipv6
	*/

and the other user would be the TCP dissector which *also* has to work atop IPv6.

The iousers tap looks at source and destination addresses, and nothing else; perhaps the structure in question should have "address" data structures that could hold IPv4 or IPv6 addresses, as well as a 32-bit identifier field (32 bits for IPv6).