Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Feature request - TCP Retransmission labeling

From: ListSrv <listsrv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 22:54:41 +0200
Actually I am implementing the retransmission-feature. It should identify:
-   retransmission number
-   the framenumber of the original frame
-   delta-time of previous retransmitted frame
There  is one issue that is waiting for distribute the feature:
A retransmission can be:
- a real retransmission (SEQ is the same as in the original frame, de IP-identifer
   however is different)
- a duplicated frame (SEQ en IP-identifer are the same, but the MAC-address is
    different but de TTL is dropping (e.g. there is a routing loop)
-   none of above (e.g. router-on-a-stick).

Therefore I have to access the MAC-frames from every source en retransmitted
frame. I have not figured that one out.....:(

gr,
Willem

Kevin wrote:

Folks,
A couple of months ago, the feature was added to TCP Duplicate Acks that puts the frame that is duplicated and the number of times duplicated in the summary pane and in the SEQ/ACK analysis field.

Could the same type of feature be added to TCP Retransmission frames? That is the frame number that is being retransmitted and possibly the delta time between them?

Really stretching, in the original frame, could there be an indicator that says it was retransmitted?

Thanks for a great tool!

Kevin Mason