Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark beginner

From: Hansang Bae <for_list_hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:33:29 -0400
On 7/15/2010 3:47 PM, Ari Winokur wrote:
I have looked at Wireshark, but don't know much about packet capture or sniffing a network. I would like to break more into this area. Can anyone recommend a good resource in this area? I have looked at Laura Chappell's book but I am not certain if a beginner to this field will be able to follow the book. Any opinions on that?

Check out Sharkfest 2010 presentations. There are some material aimed at beginners. One book I can recommend to someone starting out is by "Troubleshooting TCP/IP " by Mark A. Miller. This book won't teach you TCP, but it will get you started in analyzing TCP.

If you don't have a good handle on TCP, you should really start by reading "Internetwork with TCP/IP" by Comer, or "TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1" by Stevens.

hsb