Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Tag Mismatch in PDML export

From: "Prasad Shenoy" <prasad.shenoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:13:22 -0500
Jeff, Martin -

Martin - thanks for your suggestion. I will definitely open a new bug
to track this issue if need be. However, in the meantime, following
Jeff's suggestion, I installed the latest (nightly?) build (
0.99.8-SVN-24191) from the download site.

With the new import, I do not see the extra </proto> element anymore
but I noticed several <field> elements were included directly under
<packet>. See below for a snippet from my capture file...

<packet>
   <proto ... ...>
     <field name="tcp.checksum" .... .... >
       <field name="tcp.checksum_good" ..../>
       <field name="tcp.checksum_bad" .... />
     </field>
   </proto>
   <field name="data" .... />
   <field name="data.data" ... .../>
</packet>

#Second packet, third packet......
<packet>
</packet>

Is this valid? I tried looking up a schema doc for PDML but no luck?
Is there one available somewhere?

The following comment that I found in the notes for bug 2815 confirms
my doubt...

------- Comment #4 from [EMAIL PROTECTED] 2008-01-12 00:39 GMT -------
Change 24069 avoids closing off Data protocol nodes (even though they are
written out as field elements), since field elements are written out as simple
tags.

I don't know if having field elements immediately inside the packet element
(rather than being inside a protocol element) is allowed by the PDML schema..

Thanks
Prasad