Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] top talkers by port usage or SYN attempts - ericsson error

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:36:52 -0800
jacob c wrote:
I appreciate the info. I have actually taken several captures now on individual vlans and have located the top talkers. I also tried the tshark command you mentioned below without success. I get the "ericsson error" as show below. Here is what happens:
C:\Program Files\Wireshark>

Oops, cmd.exe, not a UN*X shell, so Sake's command won't work exactly.

If you have Cygwin installed, you could try it from Cygwin.

tshark -r c:\captures\0_0-10mins -T fields -e ip.src
"tcp.flags.syn==1 &&
Could not open file: 'Ericsson.xml', error: No such file or directory
tshark: Unexpected end of filter string.

The "ericsson error" isn't the real problem. The real problem is the "Unexpected end of filter string"; that command isn't complete.

The complete tshark command would be

tshark -r c:\captures\0_0-10mins -T fields -e ip.src "tcp.flags.syn==1 && tcp.flags.ack==0"

on *one* command line (I don't know whether cmd.exe supports commands split across multiple command lines the way UN*X shells do.

However, the rest of his command, namely the

	| sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | head

part, is a bit trickier; cmd.exe *does* support pipes (and I suspect it supports them using Win32 pipes, rather than the old "run the commands one at a time, save the output of command N to a file, and use that file as input to command N+1" hack that the MS-DOS command prompt did, due to DOS being a single-tasking system), but Windows doesn't come with those other commands.

As noted, Cygwin would include those commands.