Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Opening Acterna WAN capture files in wireshark

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:48:59 -0800

On Jan 30, 2007, at 4:13 PM, Ulf Lamping wrote:

BTW: Acterna was bought by JDSU and was formerly Wavetek Wandel
Goltermann / TTC, according to
http://www.wildpackets.com/products/free_utilities/proconvert/file_types

And, according to

	http://telephonyonline.com/backoffice/print/telecom_acterna_creates_new/

we have "THE HISTORY OF ACTERNA"
	1923 - Communications test company Wandel & Goltermann founded

1974 - TTC founded in 1974, becomes third largest communications test company

1998 - Wandel & Goltermann merges with Wavetek, becomes WWG, second largest test company

	1999 - WWG acquires ADA

2000 - Dynatech buys WWG, merges with TTC and changes name to Acterna. Acterna acquires Cheetah Technologies

and so on. (Almost as much fun as watching telephone service providers thrashing in the US; there are probably some outside the US that have been as much fun to watch.)

(For even more Acterna/JDSU historical fun, see

	http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=74450

.)

That's why there are several file types for Acterna on the ProConvert file types page. The only one that lists "WAN" is Domino.

BTW, their PVA-1000 VoIP Network Analysis Suite reads several different types of capture files:

	http://www.jdsu.com/test_and_measurement/products/descriptions/PVA-1000/index.html

although they're using the old name for one of the file types (the one beginning with "E" rather than "W" :-)).