Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] I have a 5.8GB capture and it is taking an enormous amount o

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 22:05:23 -0800
On Dec 10, 2018, at 8:18 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 8:11 PM Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 10, 2018, at 5:16 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> The Wireshark process is only consuming about 1.7GB of memory at the
>>> moment and 17% of CPU on my laptop with NVMe and oodles of memory and
>>> a 4-core Xeon.
>>
>> "At the moment" as in "after it finished loading, it's only consuming..." or "while it's loading, it's consuming..."?
>
> While it's loading it's consuming ...

So if it's using one core, 25% would mean it's eating up all of one core's worth of CPU time (although it may or may not stay on that core).

However, if it's a threaded Xeon, that's 4 physical cores and 8 virtual cores, so 12.5% would be one core/one thread's worth of CPU time.

So it's possible that Wireshark is using an entire thread for one core, and is CPU-bound.