Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] I have a 5.8GB capture and it is taking an enormous amount o

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 12:23:43 -0800
On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 10:05 PM Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2018, at 8:18 PM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> "At the moment" as in "after it finished loading, it's only consuming..." or "while it's loading, it's consuming..."?
> >
> > While it's loading it's consuming ...
>
> So if it's using one core, 25% would mean it's eating up all of one core's worth of CPU time (although it may or may not stay on that core).
>
> However, if it's a threaded Xeon, that's 4 physical cores and 8 virtual cores, so 12.5% would be one core/one thread's worth of CPU time.
>
> So it's possible that Wireshark is using an entire thread for one core, and is CPU-bound.

It's actually worse than I thought. I actually now have two ~10GB
captures, one for each stream

After grabbing a slice of one around where I thing the problem is, I
see there seems to be one or more dropped packets. I may be able to
repair the breakage with something that is 'fake but accurate' and the
slice is only ~400MB which is more tractable.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe