Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Git+gerrit status update - 2014-01-14

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:01:55 -0500
On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 01:48:22PM -0500, Evan Huus wrote:

>> > I had to use ssh jmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -p29418 gerrit --help
>> > instead but yes, that works. So it seems that this may indeed be
>> > some sort of client side problem.

>> > I have installed git-review (it is a standard package with openSUSE).
>> >
>> > Once I've finished cloning the repo (somehow it's not my day: git clone
>> > is an atomic operation and I'm behind an unstable Wireless connection),
>> > how do I proceed? Is there a wiki page that I can follow to set all
>> > the required and recommented git variables to use the correct id, push
>> > to the right place etc?
>>
>> There's already a gitreview config file in the repo, so you should
>> just be able to run "git review -s" and it will set up everything
>> correctly for you.
>
> I just did that, and received the following message during push:
> jmayer@egg:~/work/wireshark/git/ui/qt(master)> git push
> Counting objects: 37, done.
> Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (5/5), 532 bytes | 0 bytes/s, done.
> Total 5 (delta 4), reused 0 (delta 0)
> remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (4/4)
> remote: Branch refs/heads/master:
> remote: You are not allowed to perform this operation.
> remote: To push into this reference you need 'Push' rights.
> remote: User: jmayer
> remote: Please read the documentation and contact an administrator
> remote: if you feel the configuration is incorrect
> remote: Processing changes: refs: 1, done
> To ssh://jmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:29418/wireshark
>  ! [remote rejected] master -> master (prohibited by Gerrit)
> error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://jmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:29418/wireshark'
>
> So I assume that this does not set up the correct push url? If the assumption
> is correct, is there a way to change the push url (or alternatively: are there
> reasons not to change it)?

It sets up so that "git review" does the correct push, as well as
setting the gerrit topic to the current branch name (if different from
"master") and a few other conveniences. So there's no particular
reason to set up git push. This lets admins differentiate between push
(which force-pushes to master for admin purposes) and review (which
goes to gerrit).