Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] A newbie to contributiobn

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 09:57:58 +0000
On 12 November 2013 07:45, Shankar Raman <shankaraman.r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all,
              I read the documentation and downloaded the source using Sub version.
               $ svn checkout http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/trunk wireshark

After the download I read that we need to build the source in our machine ( I am using Ubuntu 13.04 64bit OS). Building is necessary before modifying the source?

It's not essential, but it certainly helps to know you can successfully build a plain standard version before intorducing new issues with changes to the code.

   For giving it a try, I started building the components. Unfortunately the building process showed some errors due to the missing packages like libtool, automake, autoconf. I fixed those missing dependencies, and then I came across another missing package named "QT". Here is my stdout

Personally, as an occasional Linux user I've found using the CMake build to be easier than all the autofoo stuff.  You'll still need to get all the required packages though, as Guy has indicated.