Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] A newbie to contributiobn

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 00:49:36 -0800
On Nov 11, 2013, at 11:45 PM, Shankar Raman <shankaraman.r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After the download I read that we need to build the source in our machine ( I am using Ubuntu 13.04 64bit OS). Building is necessary before modifying the source?

Not as far as I know.  What did you read that indicates that you need to build Wireshark before modifying the source?

> For giving it a try, I started building the components. Unfortunately the building process showed some errors due to the missing packages like libtool, automake, autoconf. I fixed those missing dependencies, and then I came across another missing package named "QT". Here is my stdout
>
> checking if profile builds must be generated... no
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> checking for Qt5Core - version >= 4.6.0... no
> checking for QtCore - version >= 4.6.0... no
> configure: error: Qt is not available
>
> I installed QT 5 which is greater than version 4.6, from this link http://qt-project.org/downloads . But still I am not able to rebuild the source, it pops out the same error again and again.

Have you installed the Qt *developer* package?

Linux distributions, and possibly other OSes, may have separate "run-time" and "developer" packages for various libraries and frameworks; the "run-time" package contains what's sufficient to allow binary programs that use the library or framework to run, but *not* what's sufficient to allow you to *compile* programs that use the library or framework, so, to compile those programs, you need to install the "developer" package.)