Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] GSoc Idea clarification

From: jai gupta <sayhellotojai@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 11:40:40 +0530
Hi,

I am Jai Gupta,  a computer science student at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, INDIA. Interested in contributing to wireshark this summer being a part of gsoc 2013, I went through the ideas listed on this link. http://wiki.wireshark.org/GSoC2013.

I was interested in the porting Wireshark to Android. As we need to build a JSON message based interface to the existing core library, I would like to know if the existing GUI and core project are seperate. and does the core provide a  interface for the GUI or is the GUI built upon parsing the cli interface and passing commands in the background to the shell?

How do we aim to build the JSON interface, will it parse the result from cli or there exists a core API whose results we need to convert to JSON?

Wont it be a good idea to develop a web interface instead on the JSON interface and just display it in a webkit rather building an app which uses the android API? We can this way provide a interface not only on Android but also on other devices and even a web interface for the desktop users.

Regards,
Jai Prakash Gupta

Fourth Year Undergraduate
Computer Science and Engineering Department
IIT Kharagpur