Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Access to source

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:12:20 -0700
On 4/12/13 1:28 AM, Lori Jakab wrote:
> On 04/12/2013 01:19 AM, Gerald Combs wrote:
>> The git repository is a bit of a second-class citizen because our
>> SVN→git mirroring is unidirectional. Commits must be done using
>> Subversion. I'm considering switching from our current software
>> (svn-all-fast-export) to SubGit (http://subgit.com/) which would give us
>> bidirectional mirroring and allow commits using either Subversion or git.
>
> If/when that happens, will you also consider accepting contributions
> using git pull requests or patches sent using git-send-email?  This has
> the nice property of preserving the original author on the commit,
> without them having commit access to the main repository.

We recommend attaching patches to bug reports at bugs.wireshark.org,
otherwise they tend to get lost. However, this shouldn't keep us from
preserving author information when the original author and committer are
both using git. This appears to be what GNOME Project does:

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Development/WorkingWithPatches

BTW, the page mentions a Bugzilla integration module for Git which might
make our workflow easier:

http://git.fishsoup.net/cgit/git-bz